[scribus] fonts bug in 1.4.0.rc2 on Kubuntu Lucid?

Frank Busse frank at busse.oche.de
Mon Apr 11 09:32:49 CEST 2011

For preparing a two-monthly (4 pages) internal publication, I switched from Publisher to Scribus-ng (German language version), last year. I'm keeping the version up-to-date via sources.list from

	deb http://debian.scribus.net/debian lucid main

Currently, 1.4.0.rc2 is installed.

In the publication - for compatibility reasons - I only use the standard windows fonts Arial and Times New Roman. Today, opening an archived publication (from last month) failed with a crippled document view, (presumably) due to font problems:

In the document view, all characters are either enlarged (to about the double previous size) or as red frames. In the F2-window, the enlarged characters are assigned Bitstream Charter, the red frames Andale Mono font.

Although the Andale Mono font is actually installed, the characters become legible only after re-assigning any font (including Andale Mono) via the F2-window.

Any hints on how to solve the fonts problem - or at least to get back to a useable version for my next publication?