[scribus] compiling the scribus 1.4.0 rc3 under mac os 10.5.8 ppc

Stefan Nussbaumer stefanus at chello.at
Wed Apr 6 16:32:45 CEST 2011

hi

Am 06.04.11 12:00, schrieb scribus-request at lists.scribus.net:
> I don't know how much help this is, but in my pre-compiled version of
> Scribus (version 1.3.8) "libfreetype.6.dylib" is*inside*  the Scribus
> application package.  At Scribus.app/Contents/Frameworks/libfreetype.6.dylib.

well, not if you compile Scribus in the way I did. I guess there's a way
to compile libraries _into_ the app-bundle with CMAKE but I didn't
really care. Rather it seems external libraries get linked - just from
comparing the size of the precompiled binary that I had installed before
to the one that I compiled myself: 354,9 MB (precompiled) vs. 74,2 MB
(self-compiled) - I guess one big difference is that you can install the
pre-compiled binaries even without having installed Qt on your machine
while compiling from source requires to have Qt installed (I've used the
pre-compiled Qt-paccage from
http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/qt-for-open-source-cpp-development-on-mac-os-x/
-> "carbon" - the cocoa-version is supposed to run on ppc as well.
however, you'd have to compile it yourself which is pretty much a pain ...)

> So for what you're trying to compile, I wonder why the executable is looking
> for an*external*  file.
>
> I'm trying to do "the same thing" that you are.  That is, get a working
> version of Scribus 1.4.0 for a PPC Macintosh.

if it's only 1.4.0 you want you could go with RC1 I think (I believe
that's what I did first) ->
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.4.0.rc1/Scribus_1.4.0.rc1.dmg/download

> MacPorts is grinding away building qt4-mac.
> When it finally finishes, I'll try building Scribus again.

... took me 2 days the last time I did that ...

Stefan