[scribus] How to tell a font is print worthy?

Jean Basile jean.basile at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 4 10:24:41 CEST 2011

--- En date de : Lun 4.4.11, Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> a écrit :
> Personally, I hate to see fonts that are difficult to read,
> even if they are attractive. For large bodies of text, you
> need a font that does not stand out as if it was part of the
> information, but rather simply lets you most easily read the
> text.

Readability would be a man goal. I go most of the time for serifs, even for the headlines. But, for example, right now I'm experimenting with thin italics. It might seem weird, as italics are the default for emphasis for now, yet, a couple of centuries ago, italics were the norm to write a book. Is it good? Is it bad? I have no idea.

> One of the things you can do with Scribus is to set some
> pages in sample text, then change fonts, after which you
> should clearly see that some fonts work better than others.
> Some people prefer a Serif, some a Sans Serif font, but
> there are good choices in either category.

I never thought of that. Thank you Greg.

> It looks like the site is under renovation, but you might
> check the Open Font Library:
>
> http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'll put it in the bookmarks anyway.