[scribus] Gimp in Scribus

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Sep 29 18:02:24 CEST 2010

Am 29.09.2010 17:12, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 09/29/2010 10:54 AM, James wrote:
>> Submitted on 09/29/2010
>> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>>
>> Submitted values are:
>>
>> Name: James
>> Email Address: jfl at usa.net
>> Subject: Gimp in Scribus
>> Message:
>> Scribus 1.3.8 July 21, 1010; Gimp 2.6
>> When I edit an image in Scribus, Scribus brings up Gimp with the image.
>> I see no way to return to Scribus with the edited image from Gimp.
>> Am I supposed to make changes to the image file, save it, bring back
>> Scribus and GET the image again?
>> I expect to change the IMAGE in Scribus, not the image FILE.
>> I expect to see something like "Return" so that Gimp will pass the
>> edited image back into my Scribus image frame.
>> What's the real skinny?
>
> The problem with doing it the way you would like is that when you might
> reload the Scribus file later, your Gimp edits would not be there. So
> save your edits as a copy if these are things that only Gimp can do. We
> would need a feature of Gimp to supply the automatic return to Scribus.
> Just go back to Scribus (it should not have shut down) and either reload
> the file or load the edited copy.
>
> Have you looked at Image Effects from the Context menu? (right-click on
> image frame). This will do some limited nondestructive edits, and
> furthermore when you reload the Scribus file those nondestructive edits
> will still be there.
>
> Greg

Of some help here would be a timer in Scribus that looks up the picture
files for new file versions in regular intervals. Once a new version is
there, it could wait for another second or so if it changes any further,
and then try to reload the picture automagically. My KGhostview does it
this way with ps-files.

Rolf