[scribus] Bleed.

Jim Ford jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 11:20:22 CEST 2010

On 9/29/2010 6:02 AM, Peter Nermander wrote:

>> If I then export to pdf and view, I find the top, bottom and outside
>> edges with bleed crop marks set OK, but at the centre, where the binding
>> would be, there are also bleed crop marks and the centre edges have 5mm
>> overlap each, rather than being 'seamless'.
>
> If you turn off all the marks I think the pages will look as you expect.
>
> I had problems with this when I was playing around with doind my own
> impositions on documents with bleed. My final solution was to use
> bleed on all pages and then use an external program to crop the inner
> margins from the PDF (odd pages crop on left side and even pages on
> right side). Then I could impose and still have the crop marks in the
> imposed result.
>
> But when sending to a "commercial printer" you generally don't need
> crop marks in your PDF. The PDF contains bleed and trim boxes that the
> printers imposition software adheres to, and crop marks are added for
> the final spreads. If you have crop marks in your PDF they will most
> likely remove them before imposing.
>
> But if you really need to send the complete spreads to the printer I
> suggest using an external program to manipulate the PDF to suit your
> needs.

Whew, a great help Peter - thanks!

I was beginning to think that maybe I'd 'backed the wrong horse' in
choosing Scribus, and that I'd have to start again with a commercial DTP
program, with several weeks work wasted!

The pages look OK without bleed and crop marks, so maybe they'll be OK
for the printer. I think what I'll do is copy a test pair of pages to a
USB drive and take it to the printer for checking.

You state: "The PDF contains bleed and trim boxes that the
printers imposition software adheres to, and crop marks are added for
the final spreads."

I don't see these marks. Are they invisible to a viewer, then?

Thanks again for the help.

Jim