[scribus] Several Comments and queries

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Sep 28 04:23:03 CEST 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010 19:30:30 a.l.e wrote:
> hi john,
>
> > On Monday 27 September 2010 08:36:25 a.l.e wrote:
> > >   hi robin

> > > as far i can tell, in the upcoming you should work as little as
> > > possible with the story editor.
> > >
> > > afaik, currently, only "real" bugs in the Story Editor get fixed.
> > > all the usability annoyances are ignored until a new reworked SE is
> > > developed
> >
> > The latest development version of Scribus, 1.5.0 has the Story Editor.
> > And the Manual says on p 71 "The Story Editor is the easiest way to
> > enter text directly from the keyboard." It is not deprecated AFAIK. I
> > always work in the story editor.
>
> the manual is based on an older 1.3.3.x version. at that time, in frame
> editing was painful. in my experience, in 1.3.8 (and 1.4) it's not the
> easiest way to enter text for most tasks, any more.
>
> it still works, but the from the feedback i got until now, it seems that it
> will only get minimal maintenance and must be replaced by a new tool in
> the future (it won't probably happen before 1.6).

I think we should put this into perspective. The Story Editor in 1.3.8+ is
supposed to work just like it did in 1.3.3.x. If it doesn't, the code will be
fixed. This is probably what you are referring to as "minimal maintainence".

We know, however, that to reflect Scribus's new features, like character
styles, the SE needs a rewrite. Moreover, a student is working on a new
implementation of tables, and a new version of the SE will have to handle
them. Finally, there are plans to let the SE work -- optionally -- as an XML
editor for SLA files. This cannot be done in 1.4, unless everyone is ready to
wait several years until we release 1.4.

Christoph