[scribus] Thanx for replies to `I FINALLY MADE THE PLUNGE"

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Sep 21 03:45:46 CEST 2010

On 09/20/2010 12:27 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> Including a package in a repository without including all
> of the libraries and other dependencies for the package as well leads
> to what is known as "dependency hell," a phrase you will come to hate.
> Again, Debian based distros tend to do a slightly better job of this,

I use Fedora, and know of only one such problem.  Not that the
dependencies aren't there, the package doesn't list them properly.
Thus, you "just have to know" that when you install it, you also install
something else.  However, it's not something you'll install "just
because," and if you run across it on the help forum, you'll also find
the warning about the dependency.

That's why I recommended, earlier, sticking to stuff in your official
repositories if possible.  If you let your package manager (Yast,
apt-get, yum, emerge or whatever) do the work, you'll not only get the
program installed with minimum fuss, you'll get the dependencies pulled
in automagically.  And, of course, at update time, everything goes much
smoother too.  Find yourself a good support forum, join it and use it;
there are lots of us out there ready, willing and able to help.