[scribus] FINALLY MADE THE PLUNGE TO LINUX!/installing applications

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Sep 20 15:31:04 CEST 2010

On Sunday 19 September 2010 22:29:15 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 09/19/2010 05:52 PM, Carl Symons wrote:
> > It is possible to install most Linux apps without using
> > repositories. If you decide to go this route, you will learn a
> > lot very quickly. It may not be the smoothest ride however.
>
> As another Linux geek, let me assure you that your best bet is
> using your distro's repositories whenever possible.  Everything's
> been customized to go in the right places for your system and you
> won't find yourself in dependency hell.  I'd like to wish you the
> best of luck, both with Linux in general and in finding and
> installing all the apps you need.

To every rule there is an exception. I have to have PDF X/1-a
capability. Hence I run Scribus 1.5.0 exclusively.  That means
downloading the svn package and compiling it. I still use Slackware
which comes with all the compile stuff as standard.

The repositories will never hold everything I need.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press