[scribus] Making PDF smaller

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 17:29:25 CEST 2010

On 09/07/2010 10:15 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:

> Ok, you're right. I just used a ready-made pdf which was not optimized
> by Scribus before: Large pictures, dialog->color was set to Grayscale etc.
>
> Let's use another one, only one small logo file contained, and not by
> Scribus but by OOo:
>
> myfile.pdf: 105653
> myshrunkenfile.pdf: 434234
>
> Hm, doesn't seem to shrink either. Does OOo use kind of optimization
> already?
>
> I will try to optimize the pdf in Scribus as you wrote above, let's see
> what happens then.

One source of bloat can be massively large images. You may set the
export so that only 300dpi or lower is created, but the entire image
file will be exported inside that PDF (which is why it can look good
even when you view the PDF at 3200%). Thus it is good from the start to
downscale images you use in Scribus.

I do agree that we should be able to create web-intent PDFs right from
Scribus, which could include a downscaling of image files perhaps. There
is so much use of PDFs on the internet that demand is likely to continue
to increase.

Greg