[scribus] Making PDF smaller

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Sep 7 16:15:41 CEST 2010

Am 07.09.2010 12:23, schrieb Owen:

>>> Hi Rudolf,
>>>
>>> Try these:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Shrinking_a_PDF_from_the_command_line
>>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Web_optimised_PDF
>>>
>>> What these involve is conversion to PS then back to PDF.
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> Just thought I'd try that first one, but this is what came out:
>>
>> myfile.pdf:         2660277
>> myfile.ps:          354513891
>> myshrunkenfile.pdf: 72428732
>>
>> That means, the "shrunken" file is actually bigger than the original
>> one.
>>
>> Any idea?
>

> Hi,
>
> You don't say what your image resolution is.
>
> What size are they, the absolute megabyte size as well as the physical
> dimensions?
>
> Select an image and look at the properties->Image
>
> What is the dpi shown in the properties box? For online content, 150
> dpi is probably all you need. Resize the images?
>
> When you export to PDF, the export dialog->color should be set to
> optimize for Screen/Web
>
> What have you done with the fonts? What type of fonts are and are they
> embedded?
>
> And yes, the pdf->ps->pdf path can generate files greater that the
> original.

Ok, you're right. I just used a ready-made pdf which was not optimized
by Scribus before: Large pictures, dialog->color was set to Grayscale etc.

Let's use another one, only one small logo file contained, and not by
Scribus but by OOo:

myfile.pdf: 		105653
myshrunkenfile.pdf: 	434234

Hm, doesn't seem to shrink either. Does OOo use kind of optimization
already?

I will try to optimize the pdf in Scribus as you wrote above, let's see
what happens then.

Regards

Rolf