[scribus] Making PDF smaller

Rudolf Vavruch help at scribus.info
Mon Sep 6 22:04:08 CEST 2010

Submitted on 09/06/2010
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]

Submitted values are:

   Name: Rudolf Vavruch
   Email Address: vavruch at gmail.com
   Subject: Making PDF smaller
   Message:
Hi, I'm sending this from the contact form on scribus.net.

My friends and I are making an online magazine, you can view the first issue
here: exhibitmag.co.za. The second issue is complete but for one problem - as
a PDF it's too big. I've tried various methods of exporting it but nothing
gets it looking good unless it is around 400MB. My friend took this PDF
opened it in Illustrator and when closing it, it asked him if he wanted to
remove superfluous data (or something similar), bookmarks and other things.
It then compressed the file down to 40MB! But I've noticed one problem,
occasionally some of the text is messed up.

Is there anyway I can compress the generated PDF without dropping image
resolution and keeping all the text as is?

I am using ScribusNG 1.3.5 - that comes with Linux Mint 8 Helena.

Kind regards,
Rudolf

   About your Scribus program:
     Version: older_developmental
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date:
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: Linux
     Version: Linux Mint 8 Helena
     CPU type: 32bit (Intel/AMD - i386)

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/546