[scribus] Launching with "scribus -fi"

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 03:08:56 CEST 2010

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:42:24 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>I tried
> scribus -fi 2>fontlister
>to the output into a file for further massaging and got some
>interesting results. The fonts in my texlive area are not listed. I
>don't think the fonts that come with Ghostscript are
>listed either. The same font in ttf and Type 1 forms are considered as
>duplicates.

If the fonts in your texlive area and your Ghostscript fonts are not
listed by "scribus -fi," could it be because you did not go into
Scribus preferences and tell it to look in the folders where those
fonts are located? I know you probably did, but just in case you did
not, be aware that you have to tell Scribus where to look for fonts.

>I read the file with
>less fontlister
>
>wc fontlister
>tells me that there are 614 fonts and dupes  findable by Scribus.
>
>grep  dupli fontlister
>gives a listing of  221 fonts listed as dupes in fontlister.
>
>The question arises, if font x is found in both TTF and Type 1 forms
>which should I keep? I'll keep all otf fonts in any case since that is
>the apparent font format of the future.

Type 1 fonts are limited to 256 glyphs. TTF can contain more (512?),
but OTF has lots more capability. Choosing between Type 1 and TTF I'd
keep the TTF. That is, unless there are other differences that make the
Type 1 preferable.

While I have recently complained here about the bugginess of
Fontmatrix, it does do a nice job of listing the number of glyphs in a
font, as well as lots of other details about it.

>Font /usr/share/fonts/TTF/georgia.ttf(1) is duplicate of
>/usr/share/fonts/TTF/georgia.ttf(1)
>
>There is only 1 such font in that folder.  So the font finding and
>dupe finding mechanism is imperfect.

I had pages of the same thing, except that Scribus found the second
instance of the font in fontconfig. I finally just gave up on "scribus
-fi." I used Fontmatrix instead, and found about two dozen dupes.
Fontmatrix does not have the capability of exporting a list of the
dupes it found, so I had to click through the list manually and write
the dupes down on a (gasp!) piece of paper.