[scribus] Black and blacker.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 05:17:33 CEST 2010

2010/10/27 Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au>

> > I am correcting a cover file built by someone else. The author wants a
> > certain line of white text on black background covered up. No problem
> > using a rectangle. But to get the rectangle to match in Scribus I need
> > to use a new color of about 96% K. That makes the rectangle match in
> > Scribus but unmatch in acrobat reader. A rectangle of pure 100% black
> > does fine in Acrobat Reader but is noticeably blacker in Scribus.
> >
> > I am using the latter choice. But only the proof copy will tell for
> > sure.
> >
> > The original artist used Photoshop at some point in the process. Who
> > knows what black she or he used? However it is interesting that a
> > black background which is jet black in Acrobat Reader shows up as a
> > very dark gray in Scribus.
>

> If Photoshop was used, would it be possible to use the gimp and remove
> all black, then make a new image in Scribus with the same uniform
> black.

This happens all the time.

There’s lots to consider here. The preview, the file, the ICC profile, the
tool, the color space. Anything else?

The expression "rich black" can mean a lot of things. And with all those
tools, what’s to expect?

One thing we expect is that the values we pick for a specific color are
going to be the values used in the end.

So if you specify a certain amount of ink for each of the CMYK, you should
have them in the end on paper.

Why try to match an on-screen preview, especially when various apps are used
to put together the file? Maybe those files don’t use the same kind of
preview? So what do you learn when you see two different blacks? What can
you conclude about them? Are they different? Really? Use exact values, no
matter how they show up on screen. Then proof. Then print.

Louis