[scribus] Thanks for advice, but have another question, please

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 18:45:02 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 10:51 AM, Robert Marma wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I hope I can presume to ask this group for guidance with yet another matter.
> As some of you might recall, I recently installed Linux OpenSUSE Gnome
> on one of my netbooks, and I'm anxious to begin using Ghostscript and Scribus
> onthat system, as well.
>
> Would someone be able to provide me with a description of the procedure
> for installing both on this system, including any special "caveats" of
> which I should be aware?  If possible, I would prefer to use the YaST
> installer, unless, of course, the Linux command line is the preferred
> method.  If there is such a description somewhere on the Wicki, I did
> not notice it.  In case it matters, here are some spec's:
>    * Gateway netbook, model LT3103u
>    * Shipped with Windows Vista Basic -now running OpenSUSE 11.2 Gnome
>    * 2 GB RAM
>    * 250-GB hard drive

I'm not an OpenSUSE user, but surely their repositories include both
Scribus and Ghostscript. I would hope that their Scribus is 1.3.8, and
Ghostscript 1.70 or better.

Having said that, you're also at the point where you should consider
also having svn versions of 1.3.9svn and 1.5.0svn. Why? Because you're
interested in where Scribus is going.

Check here for a rundown on the procedure and requirements. This
includes cmake and subversion, in addition to a number of header files
for compiling. You'll need to know the OpenSUSE naming system for header
files, so come back here and ask if you can't figure that out.

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake

If you do this, you should probably also set it up so that you can have
several working versions all installed and usable, so you want to tell
cmake to put these svn versions somewhere other than the default
location. That information is also on that wiki page.

Greg