[scribus] Importing text with effects

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 03:31:34 CET 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:31:46 -0800
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> dijo:

>I create a contribution to a weekly APA (Think of it as a small
>newsletter.) by doing my composition in OpenOffice then bringing the
>text into Scribus for page layout.  Right now, I have to use the story
>editor for any italics, bold or other effects.  Is there any way to
>set Scribus to bring in those effects when it imports the text?  Doing
>it in OpenOffice and having the italics and so-on brought over would
>be much simpler.

When importing an OOo Writer document Scribus will recognize and bring
in paragraph styles. However, it cannot yet bring in character styles.
However, if you apply direct formatting in OOo the direct formatting
will be retained in the Scribus import.

Let me clarify. Suppose you have created in OOo "Paragraph_style_1." You
have also created a character style "Italic." You apply
Paragraph_style_1 to a paragraph. Then you apply Italic to a few words
in the paragraph. When you import the text into Scribus it will bring
in Paragraph_style_1 and apply it to the text. But the character style
Italic will be stripped. The words to which Italic was applied will be
in regular text.

Now repeat the above, except instead of applying the character style
Italic to some of the words in the paragraph, just select them and apply
italic by clicking on the italic icon or hitting Ctrl-i. Save the
document again and import it into Scribus. This time Scribus will
import Paragraph_style_1 as before, and the italic override that you
applied in OOo will be retained as well.

I wish that Scribus could also bring in character styles from OOo, but
if wishes were horses. We'll get there someday. There are other things
that Scribus needs more urgently.