[scribus] List of words / references possible?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 17 03:06:08 CET 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:13:57 -0500
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>On Tuesday 16 November 2010 13:00:57 Craig Bradney wrote:
>> On 11/16/10 4:13 PM, John Culleton wrote:
>

>> I have started working on indexing... started prototyping some
>> changes.. no ETA.
>>
>> Craig
>
>For veteran programmers ETA is always RSN :<)
 <snip>
>In my own stand-alone indexing program tyro.tcl I call makeindex after
>each index term is added. Clumsy I know, but with modern high speed
>computers the delay is negligible. Here are the files which make tyro
>intelligible:
>http://wexfordpress.com/tex/tyro.pdf
>http://wexfordpress.com/tex/tyro.tcl
>http://wexfordpress.com/tex/alpha.ist.

John,

I know you're a master indexer, so I am always interested in how you do
it. My indexing needs are modest, although I agree with everything you
have said about what a good index is. I am not only an author of
student textbooks, but I am also a teacher and a student myself. The
index can make or break a textbook.

My first indexes were for books done in PageMaker 4 and QuarkXPress 3,
neither of which had an indexing utility. I created the index in a word
processor with a paper copy of the finished book next to me. Later I
did books in InDesign CS, whose indexing utility was adequate for my
needs, although the UI was annoying.

Now I'm using Scribus. I've done only one book in Scribus, but it is a
workbook, so it needs no index at all. However, future books will need
indexing. I could always go back to creating the index in a word
processor (don't laugh - it actually works quite well). But I'm curious
about tyro.tcl.

I tried the links above, but the PDF in the first link wouldn't load.
The second link allowed me to download tyro.tcl, but I have no idea
what to do with it. The third link gave me a page with what appears to
be a script of some sort. Again, I have no idea what to do with it.

I suppose all my questions are answered in the PDF that I couldn't get.
When I click on the link Firefox opens a page that appears to be trying
to open the PDF, but then it says "done" and nothing further happens.

I could use some further elucidation. Or if the PDF is < 8MB can you
e-mail it to me off-list? (My e-mail goes through a university account
that limits attachments to 8 MB.)

TIA