[scribus] "Cannot write to file" when exporting as PDF

Bob Furber bob at steroidmicros.com
Sat Nov 13 07:35:03 CET 2010

On 12/11/2010 9:59 PM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi bob,
>
>>> However, today, when I went to generate (Export>  PDF) a medium
>>> resolution PDF for our website, Scribus told me "Cannot write file:
>>> path/filename.pdf. I repeated the exercise at the resolution I had
>>> used
>>> previously and I got the same error. I can Export as PNG or EPS, but
>>> not
>>> as PDF, even after deleting previous PDF with same name.
>>>
>>> Both our print shop and our website require PDF files. Is there a
>>> solution?
>>

>> I don't know windows, but that error generally means what it says.
>>
>> Do you have a directory called "path" into which you hope to write
>> filename.pdf?
>>
>> Another cause of that error is the permissions needed to write the
>> file. But I don't think that applies to windows
> 1. this has very likely nothing to do with the fact that you're trying to export to a low res file
>
> 2. windows does have permissions for files and directory but it's unlikely that this is the reason for your problem (you may still check if the target is writable)

Yes, the target folder is writable. This was confirmed when I was able
to Scribus Export EPS and PNG files to this same folder. And, 3 days
ago, I Scribus exported PDF files and overwrote existing PDF files in
this same directory. But, something has since changed.

Perhaps Scribus was terminated incorrectly by Windows during its
midnight Windows update Wednesday night.

Suspecting a damaged Sribus, I removed it, reinstalled it and it still
fails to Export PDF.

> 3. as owen suggested, you will probably have to check if the place you want to export the PDF to, does indeed exist. you may have renamed the a folder since the last time you created the PDF or are trying to export it to a USB drive which is not currently in your computer.

Scribus Export PDF only allows one to export back to the source folder
containing the *.sla file. Hence, the folder must exist.

Thanks,

Bob Furber