[scribus] running two Scribus versions on the same system

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 19:57:50 CET 2010

On 11/11/2010 12:15 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 11 November 2010 11:55:28 Robert Marma wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>    I recently installed two Scribus versions on my HP Windows 7
>> netbook--v1.3.3.14 and v1.3.8svn.  I would like to enjoy the added
>> features and improvements of v1.3.8svn, while still being able to
>> access and edit my older files that were created in v1.3.3.14.
>

> Later versions of Scribus can always use .sla files created by earlier
> versions.  Forward compatibility is assured. Backward compatibility is
> not. Once you open a file in 1.3.8 it will be converted to that version
> and cannot be used in 1.3.3.x versions. However file format should be
> interchangeable from 1.3.5 through the upcoming 1.4.0.
>
> IMO you really don't need 1.3.3.14 any more.  For all practical
> purposes 1.3.8 is stable.  But if you do keep 1.3.3.14 you might want
> to make copies of your older files with an additional prefix, e.g.,
> foo.sla.sav. That way you can use them in 1.3.8 yet still retreat to
> 1.3.3.14 should you want to.

Some reasons for not getting rid of your 1.3.3.14 just yet would be that
sometimes there can be a subtle difference in some aspect of layout when
you load into 1.3.8. Also, you might want to share a file with someone
who is using 1.3.3.x. So freely load 1.3.3.14 files into 1.3.8, but save
with a slightly different filename, so you still have the old version's
file.

> 1.4.0 will be released Real Soon Now. It will basically be 1.3.8 with
> some bugfixes and tweaks.

Actually, it's 1.3.9 that will be coming out real soon now. 1.4 _maybe_
next year some time.

Greg