[scribus] CMS

Nikita Sagl nikita.s at gmx.at
Fri Nov 5 15:32:04 CET 2010

Hello,

I send you Richards response to my earlier CMS request which I posted
here. Some of you might be interested:

On 1 November 2010 17:33, Nikita Sagl <nikita.s at gmx.at> wrote:
> Now: When i have already activated CM for my Desktop using "Gnome
color
> manager", is it then necessary to activate CM in scribus, gimp,
> digikam,... or is it contraproductive, because it would do a second
> color correction on the already corrected graphiccard-output, giving
me
> wrong colors in the end?

gnome-color-manager sets an atom in X, which the applications use to
convert to the monitor profile. It's safe to enable (and a good thing
to do) the color management options in those applications.

Long term, I want those applications to talk to GNOME Color Manager
via DBus and get the parameters automatically.

Richard.

> So I can savely enable in the color managment of Scribus (or any other
> app), that the monitor Profile is the same ICC-profile that I already
> use in gnome-color-manager, am I right?

Yes.

> Sorry for asking this again, I just wanna be sure if I've got you
right.
> Because I don't understand what you mean by:
>
>> gnome-color-manager sets an atom in X, which the applications use to
>> convert to the monitor profile.

GNOME Color Manager sets the profile on the current screen, in XOrg.
This means any application that supports ICC_PROFILES_IN_X (which is
most of them) knows that GCM has done things like set the VCGT. In an
ideal world, this kind of thing would just work, and that's what I'm
aiming to have for GNOME 3.0.

Richard.