[scribus] SVG files that contain < a > tags are imported incorrectly

Péter Juhász peter.juhasz83 at gmail.com
Sat May 22 16:49:46 CEST 2010

Submitted on 05/22/2010
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]

Submitted values are:

   Name: Péter Juhász
   Email Address: peter.juhasz83 at gmail.com
   Subject: SVG files that contain < a > tags are imported incorrectly
   Message:
This problem is best illustrated with an SVG file created by gnuplot (that's
how I encountered it):

- start a recent version of gnuplot (4.4.0 or 4.5cvs)
- execute the commands:
   set term svg; set out "fail.svg"; plot x; set out; exit
- open Scribus
- import the SVG file with File -> Import -> Get vector file
- acknowledge the message about unsupported SVG features

The file was supposed to contain a border, tic marks, a diagonal line (the
plot of the function x) and a key in the upper left corner of the plot area.
However, as it is imported into Scribus, only the border and the tic marks
are visible, the plot itself isn't.

The reason for this is that recent versions of gnuplot wrap certain elements
of the plot (the plotted function/data and the key) between linking tags (< a
 > and < /a >).
As it seems, Scribus doesn't handle these tags properly, in fact, it discards
everything that is between those tags.
Which it shouldn't do, as the linking tags are part of the SVG standard. Even
if it has no use for links in itself, Scribus should display those  elements
of the file that are between the unsupported tags.

My Scribus version (it's actually the latest default one from the repository
for Ubuntu 10.04):
Scribus Version 1.3.7.svn.
Build ID: C-C-T-F-C1.8.10-64bit

(I'd file a report into the bug tracker about this but I can't seem to
register. The account activation and password reset emails simply never
arrive.)
(Also, the form I've used to send this message is broken: it doesn't allow
any years except 2007 and 2008 to be specified for the build date.)

   About your Scribus program:
     Version: 1.3.7svn
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date: 30. April 2008
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: Linux
     Version: Ubuntu 10.04
     CPU type: 64 bit (x86_64/amd64)

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/432