[scribus] Window Colour

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu May 20 04:22:29 CEST 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010 16:04:28 +0000 (UTC)
TSH <tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk> dijo:

>On Wed, 19 May 2010 07:53:35 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 May 2010 10:13:16 +0000 (UTC) TSH
>> <tsh.gmane at miserableoldgit.me.uk> dijo:

>>>I'm using Gnome, but it's interesting you say that, because I did try
>>>installing some KDE applications, like Knode and Kaddress, and come
>>>to think of it, they too wouldn't pick up the system window colour
>>>(they did in Ubuntu Hardy). But I didn't play with them for very
>>>long, and the extra Kgubbins they brought in with them seemed to
>>>cause one or two issues with the default Studio/Gnome environment,
>>>so I removed it all.
>>
>> Scribus is a KDE app.
>
>I feel you may be on dangerous territory there.
>
>KDE is (or at least was - I don't know about the current version)
>built using QT.
>
>Scribus is built using QT.
>
>But Scribus is not dependent upon KDE. QT is cross-platform and cross-
>desktop, and Scribus works very well on other desktops and operating
>systems.
>

>> And when you said "I did try installing some KDE
>> applications, like Knode and Kaddress, and come to think of it, they
>> too wouldn't pick up the system window colour" it convinced me that
>> it's in the KDE settings. I recently had the same problem with KDE
>> apps, except in my case it was huge fonts for application menus.
>>
>> In current versions of KDE the window and font settings are in
>> /usr/bin/systemsettings. If Scribus did not install it as a
>> dependency it's because it's not technically required for Scribus to
>> operate. So go to a terminal and type "systemsettings." If you get
>> "no such command" error message, then install kcontrol-workspace
>> first.
>
>I did look into that when you first mentioned it, but I currently have
>no Kapps on board, and even if I did, installing systemsettings would
>bring with it about 250MB of Kstuff.
>
>I appreciate your suggestion, but on a Gnome desktop, I don't think
>that is the way to go.

First, I didn't make something clear. I have always used the Gnome
desktop, and continue to do so today. I had a problem with menu font
sizes in the few KDE apps that I have installed, and Scribus displayed
the same font sizes as the others. When I installed kcontrol-workspace
I was able to access systemsettings, and there I was able to change the
fonts to match the fonts that I had set for the Gnome desktop. Scribus
and all the KDE apps that I have installed immediately looked the same
as my other applications.

Just now I relaunched systemsettings and I find a setting for "window
color," including an option to disable it. Hence, I am pretty sure
that systemsettings is where the solution to your issue is. Whether
it's worth it to you is your decision, of course. As you point out,
250MB is a lot, and if I had no KDE apps installed I'd have to think
twice about installing it just to get the window color right in Scribus.

You could also give it a spin and see if it works. You can always
uninstall it later. In fact, it might remember the window color changes
you make, even after uninstalling it.