[scribus] about page background

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 14:44:20 CEST 2010

On 05/10/2010 08:04 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi rortodox,
>
>> How can I add a page background.Someone said to use a new layer and
>> set a color. Yes, it works, but it affect the clarity of the other
>> images and text. Shell I use a PNG image and put all other stuff on
>> that layer? Or open a full page polygon, color it and then insert
>> everything on that polygon?
>
> if you want the color to be "painted" on white sheets, just draw a
> shape, set its color and put it in the background. it's probably better
> to put it in a layer placed in the background.
> if you plan to print on colored paper, just set the background color in
> the document properties (that color won't be printed or exported to the
> pdf).
When a PDF gets printed on paper, it will apply ink to make everything
you see. It can be rather impractical to apply ink to an entire page, so
this is generally not done -- one might instead use colored stock.
The Quick Start Guide that you can find in the online documentation
shows how to create a true colored background on the page with a
page-sized frame and colored background.
This is not to be confused with changing the display background color in
File > Preferences > Display > Color tab - this will be the Page Fill
Color. This will not be exported to your PDF.

>> What does snap to grid means and other stuff like that, there are some
>> video tutorials but they cover the basics. No one explains each menu
>> functions.

If you go to View > Show Grid, you will have the Grid show on the page.
Grids are used for aligning objects on the page and for other aspects of
layout. Snap to Grid will make frames "sticky" and tend to attach an
edge to the grid. The Grid will not be exported to the PDF.

Greg