[scribus] Scribus-1.3.6 uses up 100% CPU when editing drop caps inline

Andreas Speck andreas.speck at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 20:55:30 CET 2010

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:56:01 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
> "andreas.speck at tiscali.co.uk" <andreas.speck at tiscali.co.uk> dijo:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I'm using Scribus-1.3.6 on Debian-Squeeze, an AMD64 machine with 8GB
>> RAM. I'm working on a book of 156 pages, with several articles of
>> about 5-10 pages each, but all in one Scribus file (almost no images -
>> it's almost text only). It has been no problem so far.
>>
>> I'm now adding corrections from our proofreader, and I mostly do this
>> inline (it would be nice to change font inline - especially the
>> italics, bold, etc variants of the same font), in layout view. Again,
>> this has been no problem so far. It actually works great.
>>
>> Today I ran into a problem, and I probably have to kill the Scribus
>> process (it's still running while I type). The first paragraph of each
>> article uses drop-caps, three lines high. Now, our proofreader changed
>> the first word of the paragraph, and I went ahead and tried to delete
>> it inline. For more than half'n'hour now Scribus is using 99-100% CPU,
>> with memory usage at 4-5%. The article in question is only 3 pages
>> long.
>>
>> Did anyone encounter this before?
>
> I have not run into this specific issue. But I can offer a suggestion
> for a workaround that might get your work done.
>
> Place the story in your Scrapbook, then close the document. Open a new
> document and place the story from the Scrapbook. Make your edits. If it
> still hangs Scribus then my workaround did not work. But if you can
> successfully make the edits, save the edited story to the Scrapbook.
> Then close the new document and reopen the original. Delete the
> original story and re-place from the Scrapbook copy.
Thanks. I killed Scribus in the end, and reopened the file. The
workaround is very simple - editing the text in the story editor is not
problem at all. It's just that when you put in corrections it's nice to
see if a correction screws up your layout.
So for me it's solved now, but it's annoying if you are just doing
things and then don't think about that this particular thing causes a
problem.

> I also do long documents in Scribus and I discovered that keeping a
> small subsidiary document is handy. I do it just because Scribus is
> painfully slow with a long document, but occasionally I've used it to
> get around a bug.
>
> And do report this as a bug.
I will - if I don't forget.