[scribus] Embed, subset, or outline?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Mar 22 21:01:22 CET 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 14:01:38 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a document that uses seven fonts. The document was created in
> 1.3.5.1 on Fedora 11 x86_64. All the fonts are open source, hence I
> assume there are no restrictions on embedding (how can I find that
> out for sure?).
>
> When I go to export as PDF under the Fonts tab all seven fonts are
> listed in the left window. To the right are two windows, Embed on the
> top and Outline on the bottom. The default behavior is to have the
> right two windows empty. If I click on Embed All, Scribus immediately
> places all seven in the Outline window. If I select any of them in the
> Outline window and click on the up arrow to move it up to the Embed
> window, the font disappears from the Outline window, but does not move
> up to the Embed window. Nothing I can do will get any of them into the
> Embed window.
>
> If I leave the setting at the default - that is, all seven listed in
> the left window and none listed in the Embed or Outline windows,
> evidently Scribus still places the fonts into the PDF. I know this is
> true because when I open the PDF in Adobe Reader it lists the fonts. Or
> maybe Scribus just places a pointer to the font in the PDF and Adobe
> Reader would fail to display the PDF correctly if I opened the PDF on a
> computer that did not have the fonts installed.
>
> My (dim) understanding is that Embed places the entire font in the PDF,
> Subset places only the glyphs actually used in the document into the
> PDF, and Outline converts everything to paths so they are just vector
> outlines. I am trying to find ways to reduce the size of the PDF, but
> the Export to PDF dialog box has me confused.
>
> The PDF will be used for printing to laser printers. Therefore:
>
> 1) Which option will result in fastest print times, Embed, Subset or
> Outline?
>
> 2) How can I get Scribus to embed the fonts if it refuses to move the
> fonts to the Embed window? Is it possible Scribus is confused about
> whether the font can be embedded or not? Can I fix this?

John C. here.

How long a document?  I usually save at PDF 1.5, then print to file. Then do
ps2pdf. (requires GhostScript suite available free.)
That usually does the flattening step that Scribus lacks.

If that doesn't work for you
I would save as pdf, then do a pdf2pdf step. Or even pdf2ps, followed by
ps2pdf13.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"