[scribus] Deleting large image hangs 1.3.5.1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 21 18:31:32 CET 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:16:08 +0100
"a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> dijo:

>hi john jason,

>> Can images be embedded in Scribus?

>sadly yes... but only in 1.5svn

>> I ask because the image is for the front cover of another book. That
>> book and all its files are in a different folder. I do not know the
>> name of the image file on disk, but I renamed the entire folder,
>> which should make Scribus unable to see it. Nevertheless, even after
>> shutting down and restarting the entire computer, there it is still
>> on the pasteboard where I accidentally placed it from the Scrapbook.
>>
>> I can resize it and I can move it around. But any attempt to delete
>> it hangs Scribus in an endless loop with one CPU core hovering close
>> to 100%.

>using the 1.3.6svn from the scribus .deb repository, the image does
>not get embedded when the image frame is sent to the scrapbook and
>then reinsterted in the document.
>
>another workaround: can you delete the whole page where the image is
>in?

It's not on a page; it's on the pasteboard.

That is, it was on the pasteboard. I had left Scribus running in what I
considered hung condition for up to 30 minutes to see if it would
finally delete the image, but it did not. When I went to bed last night
I left it trying to delete the image again. When I got up this morning
the image was finally gone. So apparently Scribus was not hung, it was
just thinking really hard.

I saved the file, so the image problem is resolved. But I still have
four items on the pasteboard to delete. All four are groups of Scribus
lines. I am getting the same "hung" condition when I try to delete
them, the same as the bogus image.

This afternoon I will be at a different location reuiring restarting
the computer. Considering that I don't recall ever having problems
deleting objects when I ran 1.3.5.1 on Jaunty, I will try deleting items
with a Karmic live CD. That will at least tell me if it is something
wrong with my 1.3.5.1 on Fedora. If I have no problems on a Karmic live
CD, then I will try with a Fedora live CD. Something must be wrong;
hopefully I can narrow down the source of the problem.