[scribus] Newspaper in Scribus

Candice Jordan artneko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:15:52 CET 2010

Submitted on 03/17/2010
Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.6.26]

Submitted values are:

   Your contact information:
     Name: Candice Jordan
     Email Address: artneko at gmail.com
   About your Scribus program:
     Version: 1.3.5
     Prebuilt/Compiled: Prebuilt
     Build Date:
   Your operating system and CPU:
     Type: MacOS X
     Version: Snow Leopard 10.6.2
     CPU type: Other/Don't know
   Your request content:
     Subject: Newspaper in Scribus
     Message:
I edit an 8 page tabloid size newspaper for a neighborhood association in
Portland, and several other assocaitions (we have about 95) are looking to
emulate our paper.  Previously the paper was done in InDesign but for reasons
of volunteer accessibility I am trying to move toward open source software.
I did the last two issues using Open Office Writer with definite issues with
our printer, mostly over color.  I am a total newbie both to DTP (coming from
the old days of actual cut and paste) and am struggling trying to learn how
to use Scribus--don't need a lot of fancy stuff, just the basics, like I
can't figure out how to do styles for example to set my paragraph indents for
the body.  Is there someone that can help me with this -- and what would be
most excellent would be if there were someone in Portland who wanted to meet
with me to show me a few quick tips, help me set up a basic template and who
might also be willing to coach others from the various neighborhood
associations and coalitions.  If I can just get the basics under my belt I am
happy to pay it forward and teach others.

The results of this submission may be viewed at:
http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/158/submission/369