[scribus] need Scribus buddy

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 20:13:46 CET 2010

2010/3/11 LeeSanne Buchanan <leesanne at gmail.com>

> I have worked with Pagemaker, then InDesign, on a Mac. Now I am learning
> Scribus and need some help. I am trying to publish a newsletter for a
> Senior
> complex. I selected two columns in a text frame and now don't want that.
> First, how can I change to only one column in a text frame?

Hi,

As you are not new to DTP, the learning curve shouldn’t be too steep!

There are numerous informations available on the Scribus website and you can
also connect to IRC so you can directly explain your situation and most
hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Here are the quick answers to most of your questions.

Select your text frame and then go to the Properties Palette (right-click on
the frame, context menu, last menu). In the Text tab you will find "Columns
and Text Distances". This is what you’re looking for.

Or...if I can
> only do that in a new document, how do I save the formatting (to be used IN
> a new document) that I want to use like the name of newsletter, photo etc,
> so I won't have to struggle with that all over again.

You can put as many object as you need into the Album. The contextual menu
will offer you this possibility.

If you want to reuse formatting styles (paragraph, character, lines) you can
by creating those styles and then importing them from that document to any
Scribus document.

It would be also advisable if you’d create a number of master pages so you
can apply them to any page of your choice. The master pages are at Edit >
Master Pages and once done can be managed in the Page > Apply Master Pages

> I installed ghost script but the Scribus doesn't find the ghostscript but
> maybe that is not critical. Is there anyone in the Seattle area I could
> spend a couple of hours with who could tutor me?
>
> I installed scribus 1.3.5
>
> thanks for any help anyone has.

It’s a pleasure!

Louis