[scribus] alignment of text frames after inserting a new page

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 03:20:30 CET 2010

2010/3/4 Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com>

> On 03/04/2010 05:06 PM, a.l.e wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>>  No problem. I'll continue to move frames as needed, with the
>>>>

>>>  the guides it is not so difficult. I just wanted to be sure I didn't
>>>>

>>> I hav the same problem. I found that is is quicker, and more exact,
>>> to use the properties and just change the numbers there.
>>>

>> je résiste à tout sauf à la tentation...
>>
>> going to berne and back to zurich i've implemented a first version of
>> the script which adjusts the misplaced frames in a document after a
>> page has been inserted.
>>
>> how to use it:
>> - it will only work correctly on documents with the first page on the
>>   right side
>> - insert the new page(s).
>> - select the first frame which is misplaced
>> - the script will correct the placement of the selected frame and of
>>   all the frames
>>   - with the same width
>>   - at the same height
>>   - with the same distance from the margin
>>   on all the pages to the end of the file
>> - possible features:
>>   - allow also documents starting with a left page
>>   - let the user define a page range
>>   but i won't implement them before the new scripter is there.
>>

>> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Align_to_left_page_margin
>>

>> have fun and give some feedback: does it work for you?
>>

> I thought about this concept but it's a little problematic. Having a right
> page or left page isn't simply a matter of a shift of content. You may want
> a different layout for a right of left page. For example, it might be Ok to
> have something near the outer edge of the document, but you would not want
> it to be next to the crease of the book.

True.

If for some reason we must add a page to a left-right layout, the first
thing to consider would be to add 2 pages instead of one. The left-right
pattern must be followed. In those cases, the text will reflow naturally
through the new sequence of pages and it’s easier then to delete the last
page, which in this case should become empty, provided that we added an
extra page to fit the content.

But is it that simple? In printing, the minimum pages is 2. One sheet gives
2 pages... I will not go over all the possibilities here but in many cases,
the pages follow a 4-8-16 pages signature pattern so adding 1 single page to
a document might just not be enough, printing-wise.

If we need an extra page in a chapter, then add two and delete one at the
end of the section. Remember that in the end, we’re going to need a number
of pages that divides at least by 2.

Louis