[scribus] Quicktorials

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Thu Mar 4 12:55:04 CET 2010

a.l.e wrote:
> hello
>
>>> It is difficult to generate something like this for both newbies and
>>> experienced users. Typically you must go to the lowest common
>>> denominator in its construction. Let's be realistic, Scribus is not a
>>> program that was designed to focus on the low end of the DTP user
>>> spectrum. Professional users won't use this kind of learning more than
>>> once or a fraction of once.
>>
>> From my experience, it depends on the kind of software you are
>> working with. For such a thing, I would ask at Kdenlive, a video
>> editor project. They already made a few video tutorials, and I found
>> these helped a lot to learn handling effects and stuff. Then I know
>> Bibble (closed source RAW picture processor) who have a few very good
>> video tutorials which helped me but are bit lengthy.
>>
>> For Scribus, I agree there is a difference. Although I can imagine
>> some basic handling things to be well presented as a video (Gimp
>> would be another candidate), most of the more advanced features can
>> be (better?) shown using text + some screenshots.
>>
>> So my tip would be to go to www.kdenlive.org and try there.
>
> i also was quite skeptical when i first read about the proposal by
> robert.
>
> but i also notice that the are many people loving the video tutorial
> done by riku...
>
> i don't know exactly how robert wants implement his quicktorials but i
> seem to recall that he wanted to have very short videos (about 30
> seconds) and very focused on one single task.
>
> what i think could work is a workflow like this:
> * you go to a menu item
> * you press shift+F1 while the menu is open (or press shift+F1 whild a
> window/dialog is open...)
> * a sidebar is shown with a list of quicktorials matching the tags
> related to the current context
> * you can watch the quicktorials in the sidebar
> the tags and the quicktorials are not installed on the user's computer
> but are requested via http from the server.
> (well, i think that we should allow to install them locally, too...)
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

the 30 seconds limit turned out to be a bit short when i made the
example videos. it would probably be something about 2-4 minutes.

i gave up the idea of embedding quicktorials and the browsing feature
into the application since it is too hard.
it does not seem to be trivial to play back ogv-videos inside scribus
(or other QT applications) on all plattforms because of the codec.

for now the idea is just to provide links to the website. but if anybody
wants to embed the videos that would be great too. i'm keen on testing
things out.

the idea is also, that you don't just have links in the menu - but on
other elements like buttons or windows, too.
but again - i'm open to any approach, until now it is just a theoretical
system with my implementation on the website.

Robert