[scribus] Quicktorials

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Thu Mar 4 08:30:29 CET 2010

Am 03.03.2010 18:31, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 03/03/2010 05:06 AM, a.l.e wrote:
>> hi robert,
>>
>>> My work on the video tutorial system that can integrate into
>>> application has advaced recently (http://quicktorials.org), and I'm
>>> searching for a first application to support it.
>>>
>>> the idea is to place links in the application like this:
>>>
>>> http://quicktorials.org/id/net.scribus=en=1.3.5=s45678=frame.image.place
>>>
>>> More details are described in the "Help" section of the page, but i
>>> would love to get feedback or questions to answer.
>>
>> would it be an option to enroll as gsoc-pupil and implement your video
>> help system for scribus in that context?
>>

>> and it's a pity, that you can't attend the next LGM. i would have
>> loved a talk about your project!
>
> I have reservations about the utility of this.
>
> First of all, the overhead with this is significant (lets compare text
> or text + graphics to audio or audio + video), so that one would perhaps
> want to limit the topics to things which are not intuitive or things
> which cannot be easily discovered on ones own. How much of the content
> of this demo is not pretty obvious either intentionally with
> experimentation or by accident?
>
> Secondly, this suffers from being what I think of as a strictly linear
> mode of learning. You cannot browse or scan the content to see what is
> in there, you have to play it back, with the video taking its own good
> time to perhaps not tell you anything that you don't already know. Even
> if you basically knew the content except for one little piece of info,
> you have to play the whole thing up to that moment to get the info you
> need. If we might imagine some more sophisticated construction, where
> the content is collated and indexed, you begin to talk about a project
> that becomes as big as Scribus itself.
>
> It is difficult to generate something like this for both newbies and
> experienced users. Typically you must go to the lowest common
> denominator in its construction. Let's be realistic, Scribus is not a
> program that was designed to focus on the low end of the DTP user
> spectrum. Professional users won't use this kind of learning more than
> once or a fraction of once.
>
> If there is merit to this kind of concept, it needs to be developed as a
> separate off-line project, so that the content can show its worth by
> some kind of statistical method. I also think (personally) that it's a
> horrible waste of GSoC dollars at this point.
>
> Greg

 From my experience, it depends on the kind of software you are working
with. For such a thing, I would ask at Kdenlive, a video editor project.
They already made a few video tutorials, and I found these helped a lot
to learn handling effects and stuff. Then I know Bibble (closed source
RAW picture processor) who have a few very good video tutorials which
helped me but are bit lengthy.

For Scribus, I agree there is a difference. Although I can imagine some
basic handling things to be well presented as a video (Gimp would be
another candidate), most of the more advanced features can be (better?)
shown using text + some screenshots.

So my tip would be to go to www.kdenlive.org and try there.

Rolf