[scribus] Scribus v. Glabels

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 05:31:42 CEST 2010

Thanks to a recent thread I discovered Glabels. If you're curious, the
html version of the manual is here:

http://library.gnome.org/users/glabels/2.2/glabels.html

For some time I have been thinking about creating some business cards
for myself. Avery labels (very popular in the US) has a "label" to
create business cards, although I would print to a full color laser
that I have which will print on heavy stock, then just trim the labels
out. A package of Avery's business card "labels" is very expensive. The
only advantage is that the sheet is microperfed so you don't need to
have a precision paper cutter.

The cool thing about Glabels is that you design the label in a design
window and when you print it populates the whole Avery page with the
label design. It also appears to have data merge capabilities, although
that was not of interest to me.

The uncool thing about Glabels is that it totally lacks text formatting
ability. Scribus has spoiled me. I want to adjust kerning, tracking,
point size down to hundredths of a point, and so on. Glabels can set
any font you have installed, but only in whole-point increments, and
there is no possibility to adjust kerning, tracking, or any of the
other features we Scribus users take for granted.

So I am wondering if Scribus could do templates for Avery labels, at
least some like the business card template. Even if it was just a
single sheet with margins and guides set for the borders of the
standard business card one could design the card in one of the labels,
then group and copy and paste to the other labels. Or maybe the
grouping and copying and pasting could be scripted.