[scribus] Coloured photo borders

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 11:50:55 CEST 2010

2010/6/24 Ray <risely at tadaust.org.au>

> As a newbie to Scribus and Ubuntu, all I want to be able to do in a quick &
> simple manner is to place 2 or 3 photos, with coloured borders and
> adjustable shadows onto a page, with a little text.
> So far I can put the text & photos onto a blank page and even rotate them a
> bit - but making coloured borders & shadows seems to escape me. Properties
> just doesn't seem to cover this action.

Hi Ned,

When in the Properties Palette you need first to determine what kind of Line
in Line Tab. You probably found that one already. What is less obvious is
there is another step. You need to apply a Color to this line in the Color
Tab.  The default value is set to None. Make sure you push down the little
crayon on top of the color list. This is the icon that represents the Line,
while the paint bucket represents the background.

As for drop shadow, I know there is some work on the go for this feature but
as far as know it’s not implemented yet. You will have to work this out
manually. Put another frame (text or image) of identical size as the
piicture frame holdiing your photo and fill the background content with a
color of your choice. Then offset this frame to the desired amount to, say,
bottom-right and send it to the back of your photo. That way you will end up
with a shadow effect.

If you need a blur effect, you’ll want to use an image manipulation program
such as GIMP or you could do this in Patch. There might be other programs
too for that. Then import the resulting image into Scribus.

Cheers and welcome to this list!

Louis