[scribus] Colour Management, etc

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 14:30:19 CEST 2010

On 06/23/2010 07:56 AM, carolekn199 at aol.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am as new as Dori...
>
> I have read the basics and still trying to figure out the software.  I have read the basics and installed the Ghostscript fonts that it says that I need.
>
> My sister sent me the link to this software as I am trying to set up labels for my business and want to do labels as well to cover handcrafted soaps.   So, I do have a specific purpose for getting this to work.   I want to be able to make oval labels to print out and I am at the point where I can click on a circle shape and get it to become an oval but for the life of me can not work the colours??
>
>   I have been reading Colour Management and after a few days I need to walk away and breath!  :(
>
> Now, I would like a soft aqua in the oval and then text on top of that to set up a page full of ovals and perhaps other type labels as well.
>
> Is there such a book as - Scribus for Dummies??    LOL    I suppose you have been asked this before...
> I know this is not a word processor but a page layout program but can I not make labels on this worksheet layout?
>
> I know I need to save the pic I want to use as a .tiff so that when it is resized it will not distort.  But, I still am having difficulty in this area..
>
> Bottom line is the price is right for the program and I have read so many wonderful things about this program's capabilities...  I just can't seem to get it to do what I need...   :(

Hi Carole,

It sounds like you have not found the magic of Properties, where any
number of answers will come from. Press F2 and this brings up the
Properties palette, which among other things will have a Color tab,
where you can change the background color, and make a color for the
border if you wish.

If you've made your oval as a shape, it might be good to convert it to a
text frame. Do this by right-clicking on the oval, which brings up the
Context menu, another very useful feature, and select Convert to.. Text.
After that, you can work with it just like any other text frame.

Just be patient and your diligence will pay off. Come back here if/when
you get stuck again, and don't forget about the wiki:

http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

Greg