[scribus] Font installation for use with OpenOffice?

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Wed Jun 23 12:19:06 CEST 2010

> Um, copying a font to the \Windows\Fonts directory *IS* a way you
> install fonts in Windows. If a font or a shortcut to it appears in
> \Windows\Fonts, the font is installed. You can also right-click on
> the font when it is elsewhere and select Install or Install
> Shortcut, but the results are absolutely no different than simply
> copying or creating a shortcut. You can also highlight a font that's
> in another directory, select Copy, then go to \Windows\Fonts and
> select Paste and voila! your font is now in \Windows\Fonts and all
> ready to go.

That is really strange because The Font Thing can Uninstall a font but
still keep the font file in the Fonts directory.

Maybe it is that Windows Explorer is "intelligent" and installs the
font when you copy it to the Fonts directory? I never use Windows
Explorer but Total Commander and I have never had any success by just
copying a font file to the Fonts directory. But maybe it requires a
Windows restart before it shows up? (Becuase I can't imagine Windows
will scan the Fonts directory all the time?)

/Peter