[scribus] Scribus

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jun 16 17:37:27 CEST 2010

<john at wexfordpress.com>
> wrote:
>
> Am Freitag, 21. Mai 2010 20:12:39 schrieb Jim:
> > > I need to vent. I say this with conviction
> > > that Scribus is the worst piece of software I have ever used;
and I
> > > have used a lot of software over the years.
>
> Obviously, you have not been exposed to much software if you
think this is
> the worst. What about MS Windows?
>
> > > Counter intuitive, klunky and overall frustrating to the point
of
> > > ripping the very hair out of my skull.
>
> I will agree that I found Scribus to have quite a steep learning
curve,
> especially since I had never been exposed to any Desktop
Publishing
> software before, and the whole paradigm was completely new
to me. Also, a
> lot of things behave very differently than what I would have
expected.
> Nevertheless, I find it a most powerful and useful tool. I now use
it for
> creating all of my documents, except for the most simple ones
which can be
> created by a text editor or OpenOffice (if placement of images
and
> flexibility are not important).
>
> I agree that Scribus IS a top notch product. I have seen few other
open
> source products that provide such good support and advice.
>
> > John Culleton
>
> Murray

Just for clarity, none of the words above are mine.  Here is what I
said:
As my late father would say, there are horses for courses. I find
that Scribus is excellent for book covers and very handy for flyers,
press releases and the like. But it cannot begin to touch the
various forms of TeX for long documents with footnotes,  headers
that reflect the chapter and section and the like. Only TeX and
InDesign have the excellent paragraph at a time justification of
TeX. IMO indexing is more sophisticated in TeX than any other
product short of dedicated programs like Cindex and Macrex.

Within its range Scribus is a top notch product.  But the range is a
bit narrow.

I have heard from other Page Plus advocates before. Apparently
they like it. But I believe that if milk is free one needn't buy a cow.
I like the combination of Scribus for the formatted documents it
does so well, TeX for formal documents and long books, and Open
Office writer for saving .Doc files in more useful formats, including
LaTeX. That is what I am doing today. "
John Culleton
Wexford Press
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"