[scribus] Ubunto with Linux 2.6.32-24 Generic

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 23:48:36 CEST 2010

On 07/28/2010 05:23 PM, Linda wrote:
> Submitted on 07/28/2010
> Submitted by anonymous user: [10.1.5.224]
>
> Submitted values are:
>
> Name: Linda
> Email Address: lucythebaddog at yahoo.com
> Subject: Ubunto with Linux 2.6.32-24 Generic
> Message:
>
> I need a publishing program on my computer. I type in Scribus in
> Software mgmt K menu, a list of about 5 things pops up but none will let
> me download. "Apply" is not clickable. Various versions 1.3.5, 1.3.3.9
> for example. Each one is different. I do not know what to put in some of
> the boxes that go with this e mail such as 32 bit or whatever so I left
> them as they were.
>
> Went to Scribus site and downloaded: 1.3.3.14.tar.bz2. Put it on
> desktop, extracted. It created a destination folder on desktop. Double
> clicked and there are a million folders with a million files inside of
> each.
>
> Read on your Wiki not to try to use the aforementioned version with
> Ubuntu or Kbuntu. I thought you could uninstall if it even got installed
> at all. Cannot find it in the Uninstall option so I can get rid of it.
>
> My son is a Linux programmer but he is not available to me at this time
> and won't be for awhile to come. I am a Windows XP Home Edition user but
> now have a partition of Windows XP Pro 64x which means I can't even
> install my old MS Office Small Business in order to get Publisher. I
> even tried to download MS Office in Linux since Linux actually took my
> old Adobe PhotoShop download disk just fine. But the SB opens up a whole
> bunch of folders and I do not know what to choose.
>
> I desperately need a good publishing program. Open Office is kind of a
> piece of junk in my humble opinion. I also think Linux is for ppl who
> like to find and fix bugs, it's not for me but I have no choice. Thanks
> for reading, Linda B.

A lot of potential answers, Linda, but one thing worth knowing until
your son is available is that you can download Windows versions that
will work on either 32-bit or 64-bit XP (Scribus is 32-bit, but it still
works on both).

So go to the Windows download page on www.scribus.net and that will
direct you to the Scribus installer for Windows.

When your son is back, he can set up a repository for your Ubuntu --
this is the easiest way to get Scribus and keep it up to date.

Come back with any further problems.

Greg