[scribus] Announcement: Scribus 1.3.8 and Scribus Presentation Template Package Released

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Jul 28 00:32:00 CEST 2010

The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of Scribus 1.3.8. This new
release brings us closer to version the next stable release 1.4.

During this development period the team focused again on stabilty and
correctness.

More than 60 bugs have been resolved since the release of 1.3.7. In
particular, import filters and PDF export have been improved. This version
also adds a number of usabilty improvements, as well as documentation and
translation updates. http://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=76
lists all changes made to 1.3.8.

The Scribus Team considers this version to be quite stable and ready for most
real-world use cases. However, since there are still some issues that we wish
to fix before releasing version 1.4, more cautious users may want to prefer to
stick with the officially stable version 1.3.3.14.

The Scribus Team will continue to implement new features and improvements in
our 1.5.0 development branch. Features that can be backported may become part
of the 1.4 milestone.

==Important Information==

Please note that we have branched our code repository:

* 1.3.9svn code (the next iteration of the development version and possibly
the last before the release of 1.4) is available from the "Version135" branch:
(svn://scribus.info/Scribus/branches/Version135/)

* trunk (=experimental) is now versioned 1.5.0svn
(svn://scribus.info/Scribus/trunk) and continues to undergo heavy changes.
Please use this branch for testing only!

The Scribus Team recommends that all distributions package Scribus 1.3.3.14 as
"Scribus" or "scribus". We recommend the additional packaging of 1.3.8 only if
it is marked as a development version and can be installed alongside an
existing Scribus 1.3.3.14 (for example as "scribus-ng").

An important reminder: If you are working with 1.3.3.x and decide to implement
some design features available in 1.3.8, you should only work with a copy of
your file, since once it is saved in 1.3.8 format, you will not be able to
open it again with 1.3.3.x.

Similarly, if you are working with a team, try to make sure that all team
members use the same Scribus version -- this will avoid many headaches and
extra work.

Please also note that as of 1.3.8 the minimum Qt version required to compile
and use Scribus is 4.6. If your distribution doesn't offer updated Qt
packages, you may have to compile Qt yourself.

 ==Primary Download Location==

Windows and Mac OS X installers, as well as the source code are available
here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.3.8/

OS/2 installers will be added soon.

==Further Download Options==

- Upstream Debian/Ubuntu repo: http://debian.scribus.net

- Fedora 13 RPMS:
 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs

- OpenSUSE 11.1+ and SLED 11 RPMs:
 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs

==Source Verification==

MD5 Sum scribus-1.3.8-tar.bz2: 660b946ea3ba19e894fb5701832a6b54
MD5 Sum scribus-1.3.8.7z: 6faf763a9ca8195245d33585f94474d7
MD5 Sum scribus-1.3.8-win32-install.exe: 51762c70cccb4a479a5d0020a3732bf0
MD5 Sum Scribus_1.3.8.dmg: 7df05a7dc0645be51438518857af4c86

==New Presentation Template Package Available==

The Scribus Team is also pleased to announce the availability of a set of
presentation templates for the creation of PDF presentations, which is
released under a BSD license. They are based on the templates published by SUN
Microsystems for OpenOffice.org. Installation instructions are included in the
archive.

Download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/extras/templates/presentation_templates-0.1.zip/download
MD5 Sum: e2bc54c7304d318645dfb8a60ca7b1e6

==New Team Member==

With great pleasure the Scribus Teams welcomes a new member to our
development, Jain Basil, a computer science student from India. We are looking
forward to some great contributions from this talented programmer!

==Credits==

The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net/Øverby Consulting (Norway) for
their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.

We are also grateful to Linux New Media (Germany) for sponsoring.

Moreover, the Scribus Team is pleased to name Resene Colours (New Zealand),
dtp studio (Germany), Serenity Systems (USA), Vectorportal (Russia) and
Marabu-Druckfarben (Germany), De Telefoongids (The Netherlands) as Special
Supporters.

Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators,
testers and contributors who helped us with this important
release.

==About Scribus==

Scribus is an award-winning, cross-platform Open-Source page layout
application with a focus on high-quality and commercial-grade PDF and
PostScript output. Originally developed on Linux, Scribus runs natively on Mac
OS X, OS/2, many forms of UNIX and Windows 2000/XP/Vista by now.

Underneath a user-friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing
features, such as CMYK colour, spot colours, separations, ICC colour
management, printing marks and versatile PDF creation, including PDF/X.

Encouraged by professionals and beginners alike, the Scribus Team, supported
by a large and constantly growing number of enthusiastic contributors from
all over the world, is dedicated to improve "one of the most powerful and
useful open-source projects out there" (TechRepublic).

==Links==

- Scribus Website: http://www.scribus.net
- Scribus Wiki: http://wiki.scribus.net
- Scribus Developer Blog: http://rants.scribus.net/