[scribus] Aussenrand erweitern

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Jul 14 12:24:57 CEST 2010

hi karen,

since you seem to understand english (and several other languages...)
let's go on in english: we may get some people joining the discussion.

a short abstract for those who couldn't read the emails in german (and
be warned: we don't wish to use latex for the task, nor any command
line tool!)

karen asked if it's possible to get the frames move as the page margins
get changed.

this is a similar request as we had not so long ago about inserting a
single page into a double face document.

since this starts being a frequent asked feature, i think it would be
nice if we could come up with a description how the scribus team could
implement the feature in a "simple" but reliable way.

one idea i had, was to use variables in the measurement fields. just
like in most spreadsheet apps, we could put a dollar ("$") in front of
the variable we don't scribus to transform into their values (an
example would be "$(pagewidth -4cm)"; yes, except the "$" part, this
already works in scribus!)

another idea would be to create a "spacer" frame which could link page
border, page margin and guides to some anchors on the frame (if you
want to check how those spacers work, you can look the up in the qt
designer documentation:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/designer-designing-a-component.html)

i think that there are some issues to solve when implementing such
feature (like: when should the measures get updated?) but it should not
be that difficult.

what is imo a bigger issue is to specify the details of the feature
and how it can be made usable.

voilà. does anybody want to join the discussion and give some high
quality feedback?

have a wonderful day
a.l.e