[scribus] Transparency in barcode

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Jul 12 19:24:26 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 12:33:47 Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 12:21 PM, John Culleton wrote:
How

> > can I make the

> > background of my

> >> This might be a bad idea. If an old barcode reader is
used,

> > it might occure
> >
> >> that the background color makes the barcode
unreadable.

> > Further, I cannot recall a professionally prepared book
that
> > had a colored or patterned background for a bar code.
In this
> > case convention overrules your personal esthetic
> > preferences. Just because it can be done doesn't mean
that
> > it is a good idea.
>
> In the end, though, I think that there should be some
leeway in this
> process. As I go through the supermarket checkout I
notice that many
> barcodes can be in various colors, so there clearly is
some degree of
> contrast which scanners can cope with.
>
> I also can imagine that a background for a barcode might
be desired to
> be semi-transparent in some degree.
>
> Greg

I am not dealing with the issue of ultimate readability,
though that exists, but with publishing convention. A lot of
cute tricks will brand your book as an amateur effort and I
suspect this is one of them.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press