[scribus] Transparency in barcode

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 18:33:47 CEST 2010

On 07/12/2010 12:21 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 07:25:17 Leander Sukov wrote:
>> Am Montag 12 Juli 2010 schrieb Gotthard:
>>> I need an barcode and used the barcodegenerator. How
> can I make the
>>> background of the barcode transparent, because the
> background of my
>>> project   is coloured.
>>
>> This might be a bad idea. If an old barcode reader is used,
> it might occure
>> that the background color makes the barcode unreadable.
>
> Further, I cannot recall a professionally prepared book that
> had a colored or patterned background for a bar code. In this
> case convention overrules your personal esthetic
> preferences. Just because it can be done doesn't mean that
> it is a good idea.

In the end, though, I think that there should be some leeway in this
process. As I go through the supermarket checkout I notice that many
barcodes can be in various colors, so there clearly is some degree of
contrast which scanners can cope with.

I also can imagine that a background for a barcode might be desired to
be semi-transparent in some degree.

Greg