No subject

Sat Jul 10 00:01:26 CEST 2010

In order to compile and use Scribus you need:

To compile Scribus 1.1.2+ requires GCC 3.x+, GCC 3.2+ is strongly recommended.
Qt-3.0.5 or higher - both the runtime libraries and development libraries. We strongly recommend using Qt 3.1.2 or Qt 3.2.x .
Python and python-devel libraries 2.1 or newer
Freetype2 V 2.1.3 or newer
libart_lgpl 2.3.8 minimum - 2.3.16+ recommended
Ghostscript > 6.53 or greater. GNU Ghostscript 7.07+ or AFPL Ghostscript 8.11 is highly recommended.
Postscript-Fonts. True Type Fonts. Scribus also can support Open Type fonts both True Type and Type 1 Outline Open Type Fonts in 1.1.1+.
Scribus will run under most any window manager and does not require KDE itself. However, drag and drop functionality will be lost without KDE. One of the Scribus developers runs Gnome. The author of this documentation has made a point of testing each release of Scribus under Blackbox as well. This has shown no incompatibilities or problems for Scribus, except for the loss of drop and drag functionality.
If color management does not work, you may not have installed the development libraries for littlecms. When downloading the package from littlecms the make files are already configured for Linux, so compiling is straight forward. You also need at least one RGB profile and one CMYK profile installed or the color preferences and options will not appear in the menus. On Red Hat and Mandrake 9.x you may have to type export LDFLAGS="-lm", just before compiling or littlecms may not link correctly to Scribus. This issue has been fixed in littlecms 1.10 and in Scribus 1.2
All Scribus versions since 0.7.7 have sucessfully compiled with gcc 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and Qt 3.0.5, QT 3.1.x and 3.2.x. We recommend using QT 3.1.2 or 3.2.x which have text display improvements and important bug fixes. Testing suggests setting the correct "-march=" CXXFLAGS has a very benefitial effect on Scribus performance. Ex. export CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon"
Optionally:

CUPS development librairies - Scribus now directly supports printing with CUPS.
Gimp Print development librairies - Scribus now directly supports the Gimp Print plug-in with CUPS

Possibly your best bet would be to visit us in #scribus as we might be
able to work through the issues one by one.. but I think from the list
above, its pretty clear theres some work to do on that box to get the
latest Scribus to run well.

Craig