[scribus] Arrows and lines

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 19:29:16 CEST 2010

On 07/03/2010 11:12 AM, Stewart Noy wrote:

> Right, thanks for the info. Don't you think however that it was in fact
> better, as it gave you the option of adjusting the arrow head independantly
> from the line? Now your options are fairly limited in comparison.
> Also, the problem with with creating two lines/arrows as you suggested is
> that when you have a line that bends, you have to put in quite a bit of work
> to ensure that the arrow head follows the same contour as the line,
> otherwise it just looks untidy - yeah you guessed it I have hundreds of
> arrows in my book.. :-)

Hmm. Hard to say. If we look at it from the point-of-view of how various
other things operate in Scribus, it might make more sense to have either
more choices of size than S, M, or L (let's say some Max/Min then
decimal increments, for example), or that there could be some ± spinbox
percentage of a basic size. You run the risk of things getting too
fiddly in the process. You can of course submit a feature request, but
it's a little bit dependent on how easy it is to modify the current code.

The other thing to say from a design perspective is that you shouldn't
fall into the trap of something analogous to having too many font types
and sizes in your design. This causes cognitive distraction from
whatever message there may be in your design and its content.

> Do you perhaps know what version of Scribus still has that 'feature'?

My guess would be something a bit farther back in the 1.3.3.x series.
Maybe try 1.3.3.9 if you can find it. I suppose we ought to have some
"History of Scribus" repository to (if nothing else) teach people not to
wish for old versions.

Greg