[scribus] how does scribus do justification?

avox avox at arcor.de
Fri Jan 29 11:08:03 CET 2010

John Jason Jordan-2 wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:37:33 +0100
> Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> dijo:

>>> If I recall correct Scribus is now (1.3.5?) using code from TeX for
>>> justification, so Scribus does it the same way as TeX.
>>>

>>Scribus does not use any TeX code, nor will this ever be the case,
>>because the licenses are incompatible. What Scribus's Andreas (as well
>>as the InDesign developers, btw) does, is studying TeX's algorithms.
>>This is called research ;)
>
> Rats. I was hoping for a soon-to-be-available implant from TeX.
>
> Oh well.

Scribus vs. TeX:

1. Scribus uses TeX's hyphenation algorithm via libhnj. It's also the same
algorithm that's used in OO.O.
We don't use libhnj for justification, though.
2. The ideas for Scribus' optical margins and glyph scaling where taken from
pdfTeX. The way Scribus does line-by-line justification using normal and
minimum word spacing was my idea, but probably someone else had the same
idea before.
3. I've a prototype for doing paragraph layout based on ideas from TeX, but
it doesn't compile with current Scribus any more and has to wait for:
4. Restructuring of the text data structures to allow a) flexible
association of glyphs with content chars, b) non-latin scripts, c)
structured text, d) box-based layout (as in TeX's boxes)

I'm currently working on 4. and after that is done I'll probably do some
other interesting stuff before tackling 3. again. Another project for the
far future is:
5. Implement TeX's math formatting algorithm.

/Andreas