[scribus] can I buy gs###w64.exe?

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Fri Jan 29 09:22:39 CET 2010

Hi Marilyn,

Þann fös 29.jan 2010 03:28, Marilyn A. Apfel, PhD skrifaði:

> I downloadedgs and opened it and got the same error message. I remember
> reading that gs has to be installed first so I uninstalled Scribus so
> that gs would be first. Still no luck. Any suggestions?
>
> THANKS!

The downloaded package is an installation package; close
Scribus and öther memory-intensive programs, then you run it
either by double-clicking on it or using Add/Remove Programs
from Control Panel.

The installation process should be straightforward, accept
all the defaults. There may be a question about where to
install GS, from what I gather the default is something like
<C:/Program Files/gs/>; some people like to install straight
under <C:/gs>. Your choice.

After the installation, open Scribus - yes, it will complain
about missing GS, dismiss that window and continue (open or
make a new document). Once with Scribus interface open, you
choose "File --> Preferences", in this configuration window
you locate the "External Tools" icon in the left pane; this
opens the External Tools tab.
Under the (first) "PostScript Interpreter"-section you enter
the location of the GS-executable, either manually or by
pressing "Change..." which allows you to browse to your
installed program executable, e.g. <C:/Program
Files/GS/gs8.64/bin/gswin64c.exe> (or whatewer it's called
in your installation).

Take a note; in the next section of "External Tools" you may
want to similarly enter the path for your prefered Image
processing tool, Gimp, Photoshop or whatewer.

Screenshots of the Preferences tabs can be seen at:
<http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=settings1>

Hope this helps,

Sveinn í Felli

PS: there may be inconsistencies in above paths/filenames,
check what's valid on your system (I haven't used Win for ages)