[scribus] Cropping invisible image areas on PDF export

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jan 28 18:51:30 CET 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 08:34:16 Daniel Berlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to crop image data that lies outside
> the scribus image frames on export to PDF?
>
> When I inspected Scribus-made PDFs I realized that
> the images are exported to PDF in total although areas
> of the images may be covered (that is, "behind") other
> images or outside the image frame because of it being
> smaller than the contained image.
>
> I'm not sure if the scripts for web-optimising Scribus
> PDFs handle this task -- or do they?
>
> Cheers
> -- Dan

If you flatten the file then layers and overlays are compressed into a single
image.  The easiest way to flatten  a document is to export if as pdf 1.4 or
higher. Then import it into Acrobat Reader and print to file. Then run that
print file through Ghostscript  script:
 ps2pdf13 filename.ps
The end result will have all the layers, overlays and transparencies etc.
flattened and the pdf will be much smaller in most cases.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"