[scribus] how does scribus do justification?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 25 20:25:01 CET 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:24:31 EST
EilertO at aol.com dijo:

>I am using MSWord at this time and am not very happy with how it
>justifies lines (only uses spaces between words, no kerning) and even
>less happy with page bottom justification.   Does Scribus offer
>anything better?   Also, are Word docs importable transparently into
>Scribus?   I am not yet a user, just want to know what can be done.

You will love the power of Scribus when formatting text. I especially
recommend you try the latest development release, because it adds some
text handling features. At the same time I must caution that it is not
stable and not recommended for production work. Nevertheless, I
recently created a 130 page book with it and had no major problems.

Justification is based on the entire paragraph, not just line by line.
Kerning can be adjusted inter-word and inter-character. You really need
to install Scribus, then practice with some text to see what I mean.

As for importing Word docs, I don't think it can do that, but I
haven't used MS Office in years, so I am not positive. However, it has
a wonderful import capability for OpenOffice.org text files. And OOo
does a pretty good job of importing MS Office files, so you can import
from MS Office into OOo, save as OOo format, then import the OOo file.
Also, you can copy and paste from MS Office to Scribus. And another way
to get text from MS Office into Scribus is to save as RTF from Word.