[scribus] PDFtoPS vs PDF2PS

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jan 21 21:08:47 CET 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010 06:56:20 Peter Nermander wrote:

> > What he's trying to do is shrink the PDF, so some sort of conversion is
> > needed.
>
> Yes, but my comment was in response to what I quoted. Instead of
> printing to postscript and "distilling" with ghostscript (ps2pds is as
> far as I know only a wrapper script for ghostscript) it would probably
> be a lot easier to just print directly to a PDF.
>
> /Peter

That would not handle flattening etc. which unfortunately Scribus itself
doesn't do.  My current workflow is to write from Scribus as pdf, load that file
into Acroread, save as a print file, and then run that through PStill with a
godawful command line and receive a PDF x/1-a:2001 file as a result. When
Scribus will save to PDF x/1-a:2001, flattening as it goes, my workflow will be
one heck of a lot simpler.

John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"
Printable E-book 38 pages $5.95