[scribus] Importing ODT text into a Scribus Table - SOLVED

Julian Robbins julian.robbins at q-par.com
Thu Jan 7 15:36:57 CET 2010

a.l.e wrote:
> hi julian,
>> And before you mention the wiki article about Complex Tables and
>> Scribus, the problem with that approach is that importing the text via
>> an OpenOffice Draw derived eps file leaves the text as an image, not as
>> editable real text, so we wouldn't be able to ever edit our text in the
>> Scribus file :-(
>>
> afaik, you can't import a table and keep it editable in scribus.
> period. for now.
> it's not a good news, but that's life...
Actually, I found an answer that works ! In Scribus there in a Import as
csv script. So in OOo you select your table in Writer, then paste into
Calc then Save As a CSV file, then import  & volia ! No, I'd never seen
it either. Works really well allowing you to say what widths of columns
you want. It is on the Wiki
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Create_tables_out_of_csv_data

The script is even in the default version that Malex offers for
Ubuntu/Debian along with quite a few other useful scripts. Well worth a
look if you havent before ...

>> Hope this makes sense. BTW, the new table editing/layout features have
>> been on the roadmap since 2006, any idea when we might see them? Better
>> table facilities are definitely needed as they are quite a basic feature
>> of a DTP tool .... it really lets the side down from a quite wonderful
>> application.
>
> afaik2, it waits for the new file (.sla) formatting being finished...
> let's cross our fingers...
I hope so, tables really are hopelessly awkward and the main reason why
people here grit their teeth when using it.

Julian

--
Kind regards

Julian Robbins