[scribus] Kind person who can help

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Feb 17 20:20:27 CET 2010

On Monday 15 February 2010 01:28:44 Peter Nermander wrote:
> > Yes. That's the issue because days needs to follow - one after another
> > after everything will be printed and bonded together. So there needs to
> > be special order of days on page A4. After cutting I need to be able to
> > put it together.
>
> What you are looking for is called imposition. Scribus can not handle
> imposition by itself (yet) but there are several ways shown in the
> Scribus wiki.
>
> Design your document using A5 pages, one day after another, and then
> let the imposition tool of your choice sort the pages in the correct
> order and put two on each side of the sheet.
>
> The easiest imposition would probably be like 1,3,4,2, but then when
> you cut the stack you will have to interleave the pages. If you just
> want to the able to put the two halves on the stack on top of
> eachother the imposition becomes a bit harder.
>
> /Peter

Perpetual means good for any year.

Lay out the book in single pages and produce a ps file of the book in normal
order (begin Jan 1 end Dec 31) Then this file can be reformatted using three
programs from the psutils suite:
.
 First you need to rearrange the pages (psbook).
Next you need to put two pages on a larger sheet of paper (psnup).
Next you need to select the even and odd pages from this new file into separate
files (pssselect).  Next you need to print the odd pages on one side of a stack
of paper and the even pages on the other side (not shown.)

 Finally you need to guillotine the stack of paper in half and hole punch the
pages.

Here is an example of what I have used for years to create hymnals for the
choir.
psbook $1.ps $1b.ps
echo 'psnup'
psnup -2 -ptabloid -Pletter $1b.ps $1p.ps
echo 'psselect'
psselect -o   $1p.ps $1o.ps
psselect -e -r  $1p.ps $1e.ps
Then you print the odd pages ($o.ps), reinsert the paper in the printer, and
print the even pages ($e.ps)

In Linux you just call the script with the name of the ps file. In Windows you
need to put name of the file (with .ps omitted) every place you see $1.

Whether you need to reverse the sequence of the even pages (last line) depends
on your printer.  I suggest you experiment with a 12 page file until you get it
right.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"