[scribus] A New Concept of Character Spacing? (was Re: Why scribus lacks letter-spacing?)

William F. Maddock billsey at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 5 12:57:05 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 17:50 +0000, Hirwen HARENDAL wrote:
> > From: billsey at earthlink.net
>
> > >How do these concepts compare to InDesign's optical character
> spacing?
> >
> > I'm not sure, but I THINK my idea is a simpler concept. It would
> involve the font designer, at the design stage, setting the "close
> approach" value for the font (that is, how close any two visible
> glyphs should approach each other at their closest points). On the
> layout end, the engine would find where that close approach would be
> for each of the visible-glyph pairs in use and set that close approach
> to the value previously set for the font. No exceptions, no epicycles,
> no Ptolemy. The engine would not care which glyphs are involved; it
> just finds the closest approach for that pair and sets it to the
> "close approach" value for that font.
>

> ** Your "simple concept" need a lot of parameters

Actually, Hirwen, I think you're missing the concept. With the western
character set, at least, it doesn't need a bunch of parameters. The
vertical positioning has always been up to the designer, and that would
not change. But horizontally, within a line, it really only needs the
"close approach" setting. Nothing more.